Wednesday, October 3, 2012

God Has a Sense of Humor . . .

Hey, y'all! Ain't life grand? When my children were young, my Mother started doing a very odd thing. She would send me boxes of pots and pans; and even, fine china, crystal and silver. What? I was very utilitarian in my youth, and as a single mom, I couldn't figure out what was up with her. Me and my young'uns were into 'the paper plate thang' in order to get through the mounds of homework, and soccer practices, and basketball games, and . . . .  So I pushed the boxes of unwanted goodies from my dear ole Mom in the back of some deserted closet and went on with my real life. Needless to say, the pots and pans have gone the way of the dodo bird, but now I do somewhat cherish the china. (I don't use it much, but I try to pull it out at least once a year and clean it up and make some occasion special.)
Yesterday, I had to smile when I found myself in the clearance aisle buying, not one great deal on a nice, heavy saute pan, but two! My thought was, 'Maybe my daughter could use one' (...and Lord knows she could). And it occurred to me that our Great God must be smiling from his heavenly perch as He watches us go through this comic circle of life. (You can do that when you already know the outcome--2 Timothy 2:19)  Because I promise you, I was the same age as my daughter is now when my Mom started sending me stuff I didn't think I wanted or needed. And I am quite sure, I'll get the very same reaction from my daughter. :) :)
Isn't it funny how each of us, in each succeeding generation, thinks the course of our lives is so-ooo unique, so-ooo incredibly different? But when we boil it all down to a nectar, there're really only two ways this journey can end. We can either accept Jesus Christ and have eternal life, or we can go our own way and be lost forever. That's why I believe Jesus could die for all the sins of all the people in all the world 'once for all' (Hebrews 10:10). Because, 'there's no new thing under the sun'. (Ecclesiastes 1:9) We all make it to Planet Earth the same way; we're all subject to the same vices and devices; and we all fall for 'em, in one way or another. (Romans 3:23) So we, each of us, need someone to pay for the sum total of the sins of our 'unique' journey. And each of us have been given the same pin number--faith. (Romans 12:3) We can either let Jesus pay for our sins (which He is so-ooo willing to do 'cause He loves us and He is able), or we have to trust ourselves to do it (and fail 'cause the tangle of our sins has rendered us unable to pay).  It's as simple (. . . and complex and wonderful) as that! (John 3:16)

God Has a Sense of Humor
(by :jeanetta britt/Flittin' and Flyin'/www.jbrittbooks.com)

God has a sense of humor
I see it every day
He gives some folk the gift of gab
But they have nothing to say.

He gives some of us verse
And we're too afraid to share it
But a poem can only come alive
When someone is there to hear it.

To some He gives the lyrics
And to others He gives the beat
It takes two to make the music
And the melody complete.

God knows our tendency
To blow up with pride
So He won't even let us save ourselves
We need Jesus to be our guide.

Jesus died once and for all
Our souls to regain
And He alone can give us new life
For human nature will never change.

And to each believer He gives gifts
And places us in His church
So we can help each other
Keep this world from going berserk.

But if I don't accept your gift
And you don't accept mine
Instead of doing our Saviour's will
We'll be wasting our time.

And when we try to go it alone
We'll be limited to what we can do
Until we finally get the punch line
You need me . . . and I need you.

But if we keep on going solo
Out here on these streets
The joke will be on us
Isolation brings defeat.

God fixed it this way
He's grinning from ear to ear
For we'll need Him . . . and each other
While we're living down here! :)

2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog had me laughing out loud as it really struck home with me. I enjoy how you weave humor into the article to make us realize how much we need each other and a deep relationship with Jesus. Flittin' and Flying' is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rexann, can't thank you enough for stopping by. I'm always awed at how the Lord uses the most obvious things to give us a wink that He loves us and He is with us. :)
      Share me with your friends & Be blessed! :jb

      Delete