Saturday, July 9, 2016

Parents Must Parent--Part 1 (The Testimony)

I was the biggest 'gay-popper' there ever was. I put the 'P' in Par-tay! My theme song was, 'Where the party at??' But by the time I became a parent, the Lord had captured me with the love in His word, and the love of His word. By 'so many toils and snares', I had come to believe that His word was the only true word in the world. And if I followed Him through His word, He would guide me into all truth, which included how to raise my children. Because, believe me, I didn't have a clue! I am an only child; had never been around children. And my parents--like so many others who were trying to discourage their daughters from giving birth out of wedlock--did not discuss such things.
I was saved as a young child in church, as were so many. But when I met Jesus Christ on my own Damascus Road--when my eyes were enlightened to see Him not only as my Saviour, but also, my Lord--my life, my attitudes, my actions started to change. (But don't get me wrong, now, I can still dance you under the table.) But I started to believe: "I was young and now I am old, and I've never seen the righteous forsaken or their seed begging bread. (Psalm 37:25) "Spare the rod and spoil the child." (Proverbs 13:24) "I will never leave you or forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)
And after enough stuff and people have forsaken you, if you're like me, you start to cling to His promises for dear life. It's Jesus or nothing, and His way is right. And my new theme song became, 'Yes, Lord!' So I put aside what I thought I knew--what had turned me on up until now--and I picked up my Bible. And I began to understand just how much Jesus loves me, and how He would never lead me astray. That He would, indeed, make straight paths for my feet. And in spite of every loss, every disappointment, He would stick with me and teach me how to raise my children, how to be a parent--a single parent. And He did! Praise God--He did!
He did not stop all the headaches & heartaches. This is a world of trouble, and there's no getting around that. But as an old preacher so aptly put it: 'It is also the day of the Lord!' The Lord did not promise we wouldn't have trouble. He promised He has all the power He needs to deliver us out of it all--be with us through it all. And if we trust Him, He'll bring us out victorious on the other side. I'm a witness--He did!!
(...more to come...)

No comments:

Post a Comment